Thursday, March 14, 2013

Legal Authority

For the first part of the final project, we were asked to come in contact with an Intellectual Property Lawyer to discuss some concerns we had about our major. This sounded quite frightening at first but luckily for me I have two lawyers in the family.  The lawyer I decided to interview is Alexandra Del Pozo. She is part of the law office of ATB which is a law office located all throughout the United States. Even though she is family with her busy schedule it was hard to work something out to meet up and discuss my questions I had in regards to my major. When we were able to meet up and talk about this final project though she was very understanding and took the time to help me understand everything. Since ATB is primarily a corporate defense attorney, Alexandra deals with different cases of intellectual property instead of what goes on in the fashion industry. "Intellectual property law consists of several seperate and overlapping legal disciplines, each with its own characteristics and terminology: Patent law, Copyright law, Trademark law, and Tradesecret law." (Patent, Copyright, & Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 5-6)   In the beginning, I was skeptical about asking some of the questions that I had first written down. Primarily because she deals mainly with corporate defense, and a lot of the questions that I would be asking were going to be dealing with that of the fashion industry. But once I started the conversation with Alexandra, I felt comfortable that she would be able to answer most of the questions I had accurately and to the best of her knowledge.  “Intellectual property laws, along with court decisions and regulations, establish rules for the following activities: selling or licensing of intellectual property, resolving disputes between companies making or selling similar intellectual property products and services, and the registration and administration of intellectual property.”(Patent, Copyright, and Trademark. Page 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment